Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:43:45 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS vs. df -h completely different size of filesystem [solved]

Solved after few hours of sleep - main problem was ... me. (working for
more than 18 hours is not a good idea)

Miroslav Lachman wrote:

[...]

> The strange thing is this:
>
> root@cage ~/# df -h /vol0/jail/kurt2
> Filesystem              Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> tank/vol0/jail/kurt2     24G     19G    4.9G    80%    /vol0/jail/kurt2
>

> root@cage ~/# zfs list | grep tank/vol0/jail/kurt2
> tank/vol0/jail/kurt2                             355G  4.89G  19.2G
> /vol0/jail/kurt2
> tank/vol0/jail/kurt2@manual-2009-08-18_11-04    7.29G      -   299G  -
> tank/vol0/jail/kurt2@manual-2009-09-04_10-24    2.24G      -   308G  -
> tank/vol0/jail/kurt2@manual-2009-09-28_11-41    21.4G      -   317G  -
>

> root@cage ~/# zfs get -r quota tank/vol0/jail/kurt2
> NAME                     PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
> tank/vol0/jail/kurt2     quota     360G     local

Directory on source server was moved and rsync started from cron
accidentaly deleted all data.
But space remains occupied by data of snapshots! Thats why df showed
just 24G size and not 360G. Df knows nothing about snapshots.

The fix was relatively easy.
1] make a backup of a new files (logs, configs, etc.)
2] destroy clone: zfs destroy tank/vol0/jail/kurt2_clone
3] rollback last snapshot
zfs rollback -f tank/vol0/jail/kurt2@manual-2009-09-28_11-41
4] restore backup from step 1)
5] fix rsync settings