Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 23:11:29 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make -j # buildworld

I was being specific to your question, 'could I build make -j# world without
the aout build' on SMP. As advised, I left the aout build in until a while
after the cam and perl5 integration. I now have NOAOUT= true in my make.conf
file. Have had no troubles making world at all, and that's with -DNOCLEAN.

ymmv

On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 09:56:16PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Tom Jackson wrote:
>
> > I did yesterday but not yet today.
>
> Could I ask you to please be a little more specific?  I'm trying to see
> if using NOAOUT is a requirement for a -j # build.  If you've done it
> with it, I need to know, and I also need to know if you don't it without
> it.  I already knew that everyone's been getting the -j # builds
> working, but I don't know how NOAOUT figures in.
>
> Please bear with me, and try to get this answered.  I maybe should have
> stressed that I am investigating the NOAOUT sensitivity, not -j 8
> buildability.
>

> > On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 08:00:44PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > > I just decided to see if I could get around my trouble by limiting my
> > > buildworld to just the elf part, so I did
> > > make -j 12 NOAOUT=1 buildworld.  This worked perfectly well.  It's
> > > immediately after this that my buildworld always breaks, when I don't
> > > disable the aout part.

> Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> chuckr@glue.umd.edu         | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> 213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
> Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
> (301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).

Tom