Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:27:44 +1100 (EST)
From:      Glen Gibb <grg@ridley.unimelb.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with dump and NFS

Hi all,

I'm having problems backing up a file system mounted over NFS using dump.
Running: FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Sat Feb  9 16:50:06 EST 2002

Dump seems to be altering the path (it's placing an extra r in the path
name) and thus cannot find the path.

The following is the command that I am issuing, and the resulting output:

~# dump -f /dev/ersa0 /home/resident

  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon Feb 25 11:21:30 2002
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping leviticus:/home/rresident (/home/resident) to /dev/ersa0
dump: Cannot open leviticus:/home/rresident: No such file or directory

Notice that dump is looking at leviticus:/home/rresident (should only have
1 r in resident). And is does the same thing for another file system under
/home mounted from the same server.

Is this a known problem with dump and NFS? Should I not be using dump on
NFS volumes (although I was doing this on 4.3 without any problems).

Thanks in advance
Glen Gibb