Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:16:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chitti Raju <chitti.raju@wipro.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Writing device drivers.

On Thursday, 27 July 2000 at  3:59:27 -0700, Chitti Raju wrote:
> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Chitti Raju" <chitti.raju@wipro.com>
>
> Hello Greg,
> My name Chitti and want to write device drivers in Free BSD. I was
> searching for tutorials on writing device drivers on the net and
> found your reply to same question posted earlier. I went to the
> mentioned link and couldn't find the tutorial there. If you have a
> soft copy, can you please mail me. My email address is
> chitti.raju@wipro.com

Ah, yes, I know Wipro.  I spent a week holding a course in
Secunderabad a few years back.  Where are you located?

> On Tue,  7 April 1998 at  9:44:30 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 01:34:15PM +0800, Doug Lo wrote:
>>> I want to write device drivers on FreeBSD, would anyone know where has
>>> information about it?
>>>

>> Go to the http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials.
>> See ``FreeBSD Device Driver Writer`s Guide``.
>
> More specifically, the URL is
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ddwg/ddwg.html.

I believe that this tutorial was removed because it was so out of
date.  Unfortunately, the system is currently in a state of flux, and
I don't think anybody has updated it.  I'm copying the documentation
project, who might be able to help you further.  If that doesn't help,
the best thing you can do is get a generic UNIX (not Linux) device
driver book, none of which are very good, and use that and the source
code of a similar driver to help you.  The book I have is by Egan and
Teixiera, and is very old.  You may also get answers to specific
questions on FreeBSD-hackers.

Greg