Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2019 01:58:01 +0000
From:      Dima Pasechnik <dimpase+freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?T=C4=B3l_Coosemans?= <tijl@freebsd.org>, Diane Bruce <db@db.net>, Dima Pasechnik <dimpase+freebsd@gmail.com>, gerald@freebsd.org,  Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeCAD 0.17 && /lib//libgcc_s.so.1
References:  <416689e6-37f9-17ec-54d8-0d224c26f30f@pinyon.org> <20190217151604.GB68620@night.db.net> <20190221180515.39c79ce6@kalimero.tijl.coosemans.org> <092b17f0-6fbf-662e-1061-403442248abd@pinyon.org> <20190222140407.2145c11e@kalimero.tijl.coosemans.org> <alpine.BSF.2.21.9999.1902230913380.84718@aneurin.horsfall.org> <20190223000620.GA12700@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> <CAAWYfq20PgO9RoaN2esyqf-dc2xyqfmkLVaSe8yrx-X4E1s=ZQ@mail.gmail.com> <20190223183117.GA65065@night.db.net> <20190224142150.685debe4@kalimero.tijl.coosemans.org> <20190224200914.GA26706@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 8:09 PM Steve Kargl
<sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 02:21:50PM +0100, T=C4=B3l Coosemans wrote:

> > > Dima, gerald has always been very helpful in all my communications
> > > with him. Have you filed a PR for the fix? dropped  him an email?
> > >
> > > I know we (gerald and ?? can't remember) tried a static lib change
> > > a few years ago. I believe it didn't work at the time due to missing
> > > symbols which we have since added.
> >
> > This cannot be entirely correct.  I don't see what missing symbols this
> > would have been.  I attached my patch to bug 208120 on 2017-02-09 and
> > you responded it was the best idea.  mmel then discovered it didn't
> > entirely fix the problem on ARM where _Unwind_Backtrace has version
> > GCC_4.3.0 instead of GCC_3.3.0.  The gcc commit that changed this
> > doesn't explain why this was done, but we'll have to make the same
> > change in FreeBSD ARM libgcc_s to be ABI compatible (since _Unwind* is
> > part of the ABI).  This isn't a blocker for the patch.
> >
> > I emailed the patch to gerald on 2017-02-21.  He responded in the usual
> > way that he prefers patches submitted upstream and because I thought th=
> > patch would not be accepted upstream he proposed an alternative solutio=
> > where gcc would always add -rpath on FreeBSD so you didn't have to
> > specify it on the command line.  I responded this wouldn't fix the case
> > where clang was used as a linker (e.g. to combine fortran and c++ code
> > in one program) and that the FAQ on the gcc website said it was a bad
> > idea for other reasons.  I also said upstream might accept my patch if
> > it was a configure option but that the gcc configure scripts are
> > complicated and I didn't know where to add it exactly.  Then silence.
> > This is typical for all my conversations with him over the years so I
> > stopped caring.
> >

> I do find the above paragraph to be somewhat ironic.  It seems
> that python importing Fortran compiled code runs into this
> problem.  I have sent 3 or 4 patches to freebsd-ports@, freebsd-python,
> and created a PR to fix a conflict with the symbol sinpi (which I
> intend to add to libm), and I have been told to upstream my patch.

The patch ought to be upstream, for your patch is quite meaningful
outside of FreeBSD ports.

> Well, I checked.  I would need to create an account on a python
> site to send a 2-line patch.

GitHub is hardly a "python site" (or rather CPython, as we talk about
- yes, you need to do a PR at their GitHub repo, which is totally
standard practice nowadays.
https://devguide.python.org/
OK, if you need someone to do such a PR on your behalf, surely this
can be arranged.

>  Given that I actually don't
> program in python, that certainly seems to be an unreasonable
> request from the python maintainers.

If I were a Python maintainer I might have pointed out to you that
IEEE-754 speaks about sinPi(), not sinpi(), and if you added
sinPi() to libm, it would have been fine without a patch.
(although this might be breaking naming taboos :-))

Dima