Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 17:34:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   potential for foot-shooting with KLD's

Imagine you decided to go with modular kernel. You comment out 'device
random' in your kernel-config and place 'random_load="YES"' in
/boot/loader.conf. When you reboot and don't rebuild the kernel first, you
have your machine unbootable - at least in case you previously had acpi in
your kernel and acpi doesn't work without OS supplied dsdt (as in my
case) or you need acpi as a module or any other module.

The way out is to boot from install CDROM, have fixit floppy, mount the
old root and remove the random.ko module. Which is pretty inconvenient,
when you don't have the medias handy.

The problem is that I can't ask loader not to load some module. It doesn't
understand 'unset XX_load'. It doesn't work to say 'set XX_load="NO"'
either. The only way I found to make it not load the modules is to 'load
/boot/kernel/kernel;set module_path="";boot'. Unfortunately it doesn't
help me either because I need to load special acpi_dsdt.aml which isn't
then loaded either.

The fix could be to be able to say 'unset XX_load' or make 'set
XX_load="NO"' work.  The other fix (probably more difficult to do)
would be to make all modules loading/linking fail when they're
statically compiled in.

--
Michal Mertl
mime@traveller.cz