Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:14:46 -0500
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Glenn Dawson <glenn@antimatter.net>
Subject:   Re: 4.x binaries on a 5.x machine ...

On 6/21/05, Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> > This option from the GENERIC kernel config in 5.4 would seem to suggest
> > that it would work.... though I haven't tried it myself.
> >
> > options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
>=20
> ....And install the 'compat 4.x' distribution onto your 5,x boxes!
>=20
I don't believe it would be neccessary to install the 'compat 4.x'
libraries on the 5.x host box, as those libraries are already in the
jailed 4.x environment.

If you were to upgrade the jailed 4.x environment to 5.x, then you
would need to add the 'compat 4.x' libraries until you update all the
ports in the jailed environment.

Scot