Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:35:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: Fixing Posix semaphores

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Joe Kelsey wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 18:34 -0500, David Schultz wrote:
> >
> > Err, I'm pretty sure Solaris uses a separate namespace for
> > semaphores, and I think Linux does the same.  That's not to say
> > that I'm opposed to this idea.  However, the implementation you
> > propose, while aesthetically pleasing, is likely to be much slower
> > and take a good deal of effort.  Moreover, it doesn't seem that it
> > would provide any significant additional functionality.
>
> The Solaris documentation specifically says that sem_open uses file
> system namespace.

It doesn't in the man page for sem_open().  From a Solaris 9
box:

$ man sem_open

	[ ... ]

     The name argument points to  a  string  naming  a  semaphore
     object.  It  is  unspecified whether the name appears in the
     file system and is visible to functions that take  pathnames
     as arguments. The name argument conforms to the construction
     rules for a pathname. The first character of  name must be a
     slash   (/)  character and the remaining characters of  name
     cannot include any slash characters.  For maximum  portabil-
     ity,   name  should  include no more than 14 characters, but
     this limit is not enforced.

	[ ... ]

--
DE