Date:      Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:11:24 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        ben@stuyts.nl
Cc:        "Brian Feldman" <brianfeldman@hotmail.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp cannot find libalias

Ben Stuyts wrote:
> On 1 Jun 1998, "Brian Feldman" wrote:
>
> > So fix it, I don't see what the problem is here?
>
> I wrote:
>
> > > This is on -current, cvsupped on May 30. I just removed every old library
> > > in /usr/lib, as they are now in /usr/lib/aout. The new ppp does not look
    in
> > > the correct place for libalias yet. It still looks in /usr/lib:
> > >
> > > loadalias.c:#define _PATH_ALIAS_PREFIX "/usr/lib/libalias.so.2."
>
> The problem is: You want me to report these things or not?
>
> I already have put a /aout in there, but that won't do any good as soon as
> things move over to /usr/lib/elf.
>
> Ben

I don't see why we don't just link with -lalias and be done with it.  It's
quite simple to do a dlopen(NULL) to do symbolic lookups if code impact
is a problem.  Or just initialize the PacketAlias struct with
&functionname from libalias.

At least for the time being something like this is needed.  Assumptions
about pathnames to libraries and versioning is likely to be a very
slippery business over the next few months until the dust settles.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>   Netplex Consulting