Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 21:56:28 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SVR4.2MP source code has become available recently?

At 09:31 AM 7/27/97 -0700, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
>In article
<Pine.BSF.3.96.970725230002.1028p-100000.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@trifork.gu.
net> you write:
>>I've hear rumors that the source code for SCO UnixWare 2.1.x
>>is now available from SCO for $500 for educational
>>institutions.
>>
>>Isn't this interesting as a reference?  How do you think?
>
>No.  Under no circumstances should you use it as a reference.  This is
>dangerous.
>
>Unless, of course, you don't want to do any FreeBSD development, or, if
>you do, you want to get yourself and/or Jordan Hubbard sued for some
>intellectual property violation (e.g., copyright or trade secret).

HAHAHA

This is the joke of modern software "non-disclosure". Do you really
think that Jordan is worth enough for SCO to deal with suing? Or
any other individual or small company? I love it when a little ISP
tells me they will sign a ND if we give them source...thats all I need, a
bunch of servers and some modem pools in Moosebreath Montana...which is
exactly what I'll get if I have to sue them.

Another interesting issue is that states and universities are exempt
from many copyright infringement type suits (I forget the exact wording),
so giving source to a university is like putting it in skywriting......I
doubt if SCO is that stupid, unless they are hoping that some major concern
blossoms as a result so that they would have someone worth suing.
They know that in todays world if a university has it, the rest of the world
will have it soon. You can't sue Cornell because some freshman puts
a tarball on the internet "by accident".

Dennis

Dennis