Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2019 13:02:00 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        mayuresh@kathe.in, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is Sendmail still around?

On 29/03/2019 01:59, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> I am led to believe that Sendmail is still around in the install image
> as well as the base install because some need a way to send out mails
> without having to install a package/port. Can't the same be achieved
> with "msmtp" which is lighter and easier to configure for simple tasks
> than Sendmail. Hope FreeBSD isn't hanging on to Sendmail due to some
> political issue like being the baby of one of the lead developers /
> founders!

Note that dma (the DragonFly Mail Agent) appeared in FreeBSD as of 11.2
(I think, maybe 11.1). It's basically an SMTP client for sending mail
off the machine, not receiving incoming. It can do local delivery too,
if anyone is still using that. When building jails I strip out most
"system" executables including sendmail and use dma if the jail needs to
send mail out. I also use it on headless servers, passing everything to
a smarthost.

"man dma" for details.

--
What do we want?