Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:38:36 -0500
From:      "Ken Menzel" <kenm@icarz.com>
To:        "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, "Keith Woodworth" <kwoody@citytel.net>
Subject:   Re: Server Hardware.

We have about 800 users on 3 servers running RAID 1+0, plus our web
server (RAID 1). No problems ever.  Occasionaly a drive fails, stick
in the new drive and the array rebuilds.  The users never know.

We use 3200's and 2100's.  A lot of people have their favorites.
Another good card I have heard of is Mylex, but only through hearsay.
Most of the cards designed for high performance servers work fine,
the differences are in scalability and manageability and what you like
and how you use it and sometimes cost.

The asr-utils from the ports collection works really well. (for the
asr type controllers!).

We don't use the "zero channel" controllers,  so I can't comment on
that.

Best of luck

Ken