Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 23:07:42 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        jmacd@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.1.7 (and libg++)

    Josh> I haven't seen anything on this list about this, so I'll
    Josh> ask:

    Josh> [ trying gcc 2.7, which produced .weak macros, which
    Josh> required gnu as, which didn't work with current ld, which
    Josh> required gnu ld, which didn't work with crt0.o, which ... ]

Whoa!  Now *that's* a familiar story.  I went through the exact same
thing trying to get Fresco (a real pain in the sphincter) working on
FreeBSD.  I had to give up.  (Linux users have a working, if
threadless, Fresco.)

    Josh> Is the core team planning on moving to the new version
    Josh> sometime?

I hope someone does ... I lack the knowledge/patience to try to get
all that stuff working properly.  I got as far as you did before I
threw in the towel.  I have a feeling I need to make the whole world
over again with a bmake'd gcc before it'll work right.

You know, a new gcc might also fix problem report bin/230
(constructors for global objects in shared libraries not called).  You
guys wanna close that pr, right?  Right?  :-)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

It's fascinating to think that all around us there's an invisible
world we can't even see. I'm speaking, of course, of the World of the
Invisible Scary Skeletons.  -- Jack Handey