Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:13:24 +0200
From:      "Nadir@Attractive" <nadir@attractive.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Is it possible to get more power from a FreeBSD system running Apache/MySQL/PHP ?

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C10309.89C5DFC0

Hello all,

I hope this is the first time anyone is asking such a question, but I
couldn't find any help in the archives.

We have a FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE server running mainly Apache, PHP and
MySQL. It is a 933Mhz Intel Xeon-based server, equipped with 1GB memory
and 4 SCSI LVD RAID-5 disks. The Apache's httpd.conf file is attached in
my e-mail for your evaluation.

Today we had a very HIGH surge of Web visitors to one of our hosted Web
sites, and it seemed that the server has reached its limits. Each
Apache's instance used nearly 13MB of memory and a sum of 150 instances
were active, yielding approximately 2GB of memory usage! This has nearly
paralized our server, and I couldn't do anything about it, at least
that's what I think.

I have few questions:

1. Anyone knows if Apache 2.0 can handle more visitors than Apache 1.3.x
in the current configuration that we have?
2. Can I optimize the FreeBSD system that we currently have even further
to get more power of the server?
3. The MAXUSERS configuration parameter is set to 256, and this is the
kernel's setting now. If I set it to be larger, say 1024, will it yield
better results?
4. Personally I think that this server can do MUCH better, and maybe the
server's configuration is inaccurate, or insufficient. Any suggestions
where to start?
5. If you need further analysis and information about the server's exact
configuration, please let me know and I will provide them.

Meanwhile, the burst of visitors have dropped and the server is back to
its near "dead" state, where it serves pages quickly and do almost
nothing. I would like it to serve pages as smoothly, though, when it's
overloaded and have so many connections to handle.

Please CC me on your replies.

Thank you,

Noor

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C10309.89C5DFC0

ServerType standalone
ServerTokens ProductOnly
ServerRoot "/www"
DocumentRoot "/www/html/BLANK-VHOST"
Port 80
ServerAdmin webmaster@domain.com
ServerName www.domain.com

User apache
Group apache

Listen 192.168.10.10:80
Listen 192.168.10.10:443
Listen 192.168.10.20:80
Listen 192.168.10.20:443
Listen 192.168.10.30:80
Listen 192.168.10.30:443
Listen 192.168.10.40:80
Listen 192.168.10.40:443

PidFile /www/run/httpd.pid
ScoreBoardFile /www/run/httpd.scoreboard
ResourceConfig etc/srm.conf
AccessConfig etc/access.conf

Timeout 240
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 0
KeepAliveTimeout 10

MinSpareServers 10
MaxSpareServers 40
StartServers 30

MaxClients 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

<IfDefine SSL>
Listen 80
Listen 443
</IfDefine>

AccessFileName .htaccess
UseCanonicalName On
HostnameLookups On
ExtendedStatus On
LogLevel emerg
ServerSignature EMail
DefaultType text/plain

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir html
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.x index.phtml index.asp =
index.html index.htm
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_mime.c>
    TypesConfig /www/etc/mime.types
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_mime_magic.c>
    MIMEMagicFile /www/etc/magic
</IfModule>

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" =
combined
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

ErrorLog /www/log/error-log
CustomLog /www/log/access-log combined

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory "/www/html">
    Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI MultiViews
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>