Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 13:05:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Oliver Crow <ocrow@simplexity.net>
To:        mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clockwork 24 hour crash in 4.5-RELEASE-p5

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, mikea wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 08:37:21PM -0700, Oliver Crow wrote:
> >
> > I have a FreeBSD 4.5-p5 system that's crashing reliably every 24 hours +/-
> > a few minutes.  It's been doing this ever since I compiled a 4.5-p4 kernel
> > on March 25th.  I cvsup'd to 4.5-p5 and recompiled, but it's still
> > crashing.
>
> Either I'm missing data showing the crash time, or you didn't
> include it. When does this crash happen? Is it during a burst
> of cron-spawned activity?

It doesn't crash during a burst of cron activity, no.  It doesn't occur at
exactly the same time each day, it moves around by a few minutes each
time.  If you reboot manually it'll crash at the same time the next day
(ie, 24 hours after the reboot).

Here's the log of reboots during April.  You see it crashed every day
between the first and the 16th.  Then it didn't crash for 10 days.  I
rebooted manually on the 26th at 20:19, and it started crashing every
day again.

# last -f /var/log/wtmp.1 reboot
reboot           ~                         Tue Apr 30 20:17
reboot           ~                         Mon Apr 29 20:17
reboot           ~                         Sun Apr 28 20:19
reboot           ~                         Sat Apr 27 20:19
reboot           ~                         Fri Apr 26 20:19
reboot           ~                         Fri Apr 26 19:49
reboot           ~                         Tue Apr 16 11:10
reboot           ~                         Tue Apr 16 11:03
reboot           ~                         Mon Apr 15 18:33
reboot           ~                         Sun Apr 14 18:37
reboot           ~                         Sat Apr 13 18:41
reboot           ~                         Fri Apr 12 18:45
reboot           ~                         Thu Apr 11 18:48
reboot           ~                         Thu Apr 11 18:00
reboot           ~                         Tue Apr  9 19:50
reboot           ~                         Mon Apr  8 19:54
reboot           ~                         Sun Apr  7 19:58
reboot           ~                         Sat Apr  6 19:00
reboot           ~                         Fri Apr  5 18:58
reboot           ~                         Thu Apr  4 18:58
reboot           ~                         Wed Apr  3 19:02
reboot           ~                         Tue Apr  2 19:00
reboot           ~                         Mon Apr  1 19:00