Date:      Thu, 19 May 2011 07:15:28 -0500
From:      jhall@socket.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPSec with Public IP Addresses only

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am attempting to connect a FreeBSD server, 8.1-RELEASE to a Juniper
J2320 router running the JUNOS operating system.

The Juniper router I am connecting to has a public IP address of 1.2.3.4.
The provider has not given me a private IP address and has stated it is
not needed.

The FreeBSD server, has a public IP address of 2.3.4.5 and a private IP
address of 6.7.8.9.

I am able to create the gif tunnel without any problem.  However, the
provider I am connecting to has told me there is not a private IP address
available for the creation of the private IP tunnel.  I will be connecting
to private addresses in the 5.6.7.0/24 range on the provider's server.

Here is the output of the ifconfig command.

gif0: flags=8050<POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1280
	tunnel inet 2.3.4.5 --> 1.2.3.4
	options=1<ACCEPT_REV_ETHIP_VER>

Following are the relevant route table entries.

1.2.3.4/32  2.3.4.5      US          1      798   bge1
5.6.7.0/24     1.2.3.4     UGS         2      192   bge1

Is it possible to connect to the private address on the provider's server
without a private IP address?  I have done this before, but I have always
private IP addresses as well.

I do not have racoon running yet.  Could this make a difference?

Thanks for your help.

Jay Hall