Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 11:43:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bernard Klatt <admin@ftcnet.com>
To:        John Beukema <john@gateway.net.hk>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD ISP Group <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newsserver configuration

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, John Beukema wrote:

> A client is about to set up a news server for an ISP and proposes the
> following:
>
> 1. Intel triton P5 mother board w/256k cache built in  IDE & I/O port
> 2. Intel P5 100Mhz CPU
> 3. 2 x 16MB 72 pin RAM 70ns

32 MB is not really enough to do efficient expires for a 'full' feed.
80 - 100 MB RAM is preferred.

> 4. Panasonic 1,44MB floppy
> 5. Panasonic 4.4x IDE Bus CD-Rom
> 6. PCI Promotion 6410 SVGA card w/ 1MB RAM
> 7. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI-2 controller
> 7a. 2 x Seagate ST15230N 4GB Fast SCCI-2 HD

Good idea, more spindles are better.  You might even want to go
with four 2 GB drives for better performance.  Split the news
heirarchies proportionaly accross the drives.

> 8. NE2000 compatible LAN card ??

I use 3Com 3C509's since they have a faster driver.

Bernard Klatt  Owner  Fairview Tech Ctr Ltd.   www.ftcnet.com