Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 19:51:59 -0400
From:      david mankins <dm@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login shell selection prompt

   Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:51:40 +1000
   From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>

   When booting in single-user mode, root is asked to select which shell
   to use at login. I'd like to get that prompt at login for a normal
   user.

   I don't want to load a shell and then have the user change it, because
   I'm trying to save a few bytes of memory when arriving to soothe a
   choking 386.

   Is it easy to set this up somewhere? A man page name would be enough.

chsh will let the users choose which shell is listed for them in
/etc/passwd (so they don't have to ask for it whenever they log in).

if, ``arriving to soothe a choking 386'', you want to switch to the
shell of *your* choice (instead of what the user is using), you might
want to use ``exec shell-of-your-choice''.  This command is an
analogue of the exec system-call --- it overlays the current process
with the new program.