Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 05:29:14 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMI Enterprise 1600 RAID and FBSD 4.2-STABLE

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Mike Smith wrote:
> Yes, of course, Mr. Smith , I'll do it.

Thanks!

> Yesterday, I wrote some emails to the German headquarter of
> Mylex, asking for informations for eXtreme 2000 RAID controlers.
> The problem I has been faced to was the fact, that Mylex' eXtreme
> 2000 RAID was offered and introduced since the CeBIT fair this
> spring, but nobody could deliver the controler. So I got this
> email from Mylex generaldistributor and one from another distributor
> for Mylex products, located near Frankfurt am Main. Both told me
> the same story: due to many redesigns and delivery problems of
> some of the used chips Mylex was not able to keep track the focused
> intriduction date and now I was said that the eXtreme RAID controllers
> are now focused for mid or end of december.

Thanks for this; to the best of my knowledge the only chip issue with the
EXR 2000 (actually, affecting their entire current range) was a thermal
tolerance issue with the Qlogic isp12160, which was meant to have been
resolved around March or so.

Now that I know what you're referring to, I can go research it some more.

> Well, this is for Germany, maybe not for the U.S.!
>
> Hope this is enough to make a "whole story" :-))

Yup, helps a lot.

> Well, my thoughts are now: when the statement of "redesigns" are
> facts, how will FreeBSD come along with this or is there a so
> called unified access model? Maybe a silly question of someone
> who knows nothing about writing driver facilities ... but simply a
> thought.

Mylex have been pretty consistent across their range; the current
products are the first to fundamentally break the access model, and
they've documented it quite well, so I had no real trouble with the
driver.

That is, their controllers up to and including the EXR1100 use the same
basic protocol that they were using 10 years ago.  The recent change
should help them move to unify firmware between their embedded and SCSI
RAID products.