Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:12:18 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@dwlabs.ca>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible patch for implementing split DNS

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 12:33:14PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>
> >Julian Elischer wrote:
> >

> >>I need some processes to look elsewhere for DNS information from where
> >>the rest of the system looks.. This patch seems to me a simple solution.
> >>We over-ride where the resolver looks for resolv.conf using an
> >>environment variable. This would allow me to reset this to an application
> >>specific config file that specifies a different server.
> >>
> >>Anyone got better ways fo doing this?
> >>

> >Run the special processes in a jail with its own resolv.conf? My gut
> >reaction to your suggestion is negative, but I'm having a hard time
> >articulating a solid reason why.
> >

> I need a couple of processes to go to different nameservers for the same
> names..
> for example running 2 proxy servers, one taking requests from the inside
> and one from the outside.
> I want them to see two different universes so makign them source
> different resolv.conf allows me to give
> them different default domains and query different servers.
> as well as use different timeouts.  I can not run them in different jails.
> they still need to listen on overlapping addresses for different ports etc.

Hi Julian,

I'm no expert so I apologize in advance if I am wasting your time.

I was just wondering if you could use the multiple views facility as provided
by Bind 9?  I'm currently using the technique to provide different views of my
network depending on whether access is coming from an internal address or an
external address.  Perhaps I am not fully understanding the depth of the problem.

Best Regards,

Duane Whitty