Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:43:32 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Subject:   Re: RANDOM_IP_ID sysctl?

--Boundary-02=_bAY4AQIoaZ5VPgf

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 15:40, Xin LI wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 02:13:38PM +0100, David Malone wrote:
> > It seems to me that RANDOM_IP_ID might be better as a sysctl rather
> > than a kernel option. Would anyone mind if I changed this?

I personally think that RANDOM_IP_ID is something that should be tweakable =
on=20
a per-interface basis (at least). I usually want randomized IDs on my uplin=
k=20
interface while it could harm my GigE internal network due to faster ID reu=
se=20
cycles.

=46YI, pf(4) can set randomized IDs on a per interface (and even on a per=20
connection) basis.

David, I'd appreciate to review your patches in order to avoid breakage of =
pf,=20
thanks.

> Wouldn't this cause a performance penality? IIRC htons() is currently
> a macro which is essentially a no-op, while ip_randomid() is a function
> call. Of course we can convert the call to a uniform hook-alike mechainis=
m,
> however, given the frequency the function is called, this should be
> carefully considered.

One would clearly transform the now present "#ifdef" with "if (sysctlvar) .=
=2E."=20
and hence this will not incur overhead (one compare is nothing to worry=20
about).

> In addition, what's the apparant benefit making it a sysctl rather
> than being a kernel option? I think there is rarely a sysadmin to
> enable and disable this runtime.

One has the freedom to choose without being forced to build its own kernel?

> BTW. For security considerations I'd like to see if this is made default
> in GENERIC kernels :-)

Every user of GigE will tell you else. My vote is clearly against RANDOM_IP=
_ID=20
in GENERIC (as it is right now)! All for the sysctl idea, however, if it is=
=20
done properly and does not break pf(4).

=2D-=20
Best regards,				| mlaier@freebsd.org