Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:00:20 -0500
From:      Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, current@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! to commit SMP vmspace sharing patches

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 02:48:56PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     There might be less confusion with %fs if we simply use it as a
>     'cpu number' index and then make all the cpu-dependant variables
>     standard arrays.  i.e. instead if 'struct proc *curproc' we would
>     have 'struct proc *curproc[NCPU];'.  The assembly macro would
>     simply retrieive the current cpu number from %fs, so:
>
> 	curproc[MYCPU] = ...
>
>     This would be much less confusing then trying to encapsulate the concept
>     of 'curproc', and we could do away with cpu-specific VM areas entirely.
>
>     Sure, it would eat a few more cycles, but I don't think it would effect
>     performance.

I don't think the current approach with %fs is that confusing.  :-)  You
can view it as an optimization of

	struct "per processor data" {
		struct proc *curproc;
	} ppd[NCPUS];

	some_func()
	{
		... ppd[MYCPU]->curproc

In some sense, the "ppd[MYCPU]" is precomputed in %fs.

Also, I would discourage a "per-variable" approach like

	struct proc *curproc[NCPU];

This will lead to unnecessary cache coherence traffic (due to false
sharing).  For example, when processor 0 updates curproc[0] it will
cause the invalidation of the cache line containing curproc on processor 1,
and vice versa when processor 1 updates curproc[1].  Instead, it's better
to aggregate each processor's per-processor data like our current
code does.

Alan