Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:40:46 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        dima@best.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 02:09:55PM -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> Look at /etc/login.conf.  If that doesn't set policy for the entire set of
> all FreeBSD boxes I don't know what does.  Why you didn't fuss about that
> as much when it went in I'm not sure.

(I think this discussion is out of proportion, so I will just address
these issues and be done with it.)

Two reasons:

	(a) login.conf resources limits address a genuine security
	issue, that of DoS attacks by resource exhaustion.  I cannot
	see how reading the kernel can possibly be a security problem
	in and of itself.

	(b) I can change login.conf on my machine, and it will stay
	changed.  If Makefile.i386 changes, changes I make will be
	destroyed by cvsup, so I have to change the Makefile whenever
	I build a kernel, or change the permissions right after
	"make install".

> I detect an 'information wants to be free' additude though.  Maybe its
> just me...

Yes, that's exactly it.  I do not agree with hiding information
unnecessarily.  The belief that this change improves security seems
like a "security by obscurity" approach.

Hope this clarifies my opinions.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.