Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:45:53 -0500
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley01.res.iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Myrinet, etc.. (Re: code talks: announcing EIDE bus master patches)

>Stefan Esser stands accused of saying:
>> > (*) PCI device == a Myrinet M2F-PCI32 card.  This is a programmable
>> > gigabit networking card.  It has a 256k bank of SRAM on the card, and
>> > is very good for doing things like measuring PCI b/w.   The tests were
>> > done from user space operating on mmap'ed device memory & a kernel
>> > allocated chunk of RAM to do DMA xfers to/from.  It also runs IP
>> > traffic at better than 300Mb/sec.

I'd also like to point out that the 300Mb's is acheived using an IP
stack layered on top of some active messaging protocol. (which is
implemented on the io processor on the nic.)

As far as the TCP/IP stack under FreeBSD, all you can push through it
is about 150Mb/s.  This is somewhat unfortunate, although surprisingly
linux doesn't seem to manage much better.  I think it would be quite
nice if we could correctly implement a zero copy architecture..

Chris Csanady