Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2016 14:34:41 -0400
From:      Robin Guzniczak <robin.guzniczak@gmail.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>, pkg@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GSoc 2016 Introduction

On 03/18/2016 10:12 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hello Robin;
>
> Thank you for introducing yourself[1] and for considering the
> "KDE front-end to the freebsd-update utility" project.
>
> I have been trying to think of a mentor but it is not easy to find.
> I have also been thinking that while freebsd-update remains an
> important and easy way to update FreeBSD, the technology will
> probably change when we move towards a packaged world in
> FreeBSD 11. It would probably be more interesting to have an
> enhanced graphical pkg[2] manager.
>
> Perhaps some pkg maintainer would be willing to mentor?
>
> [1]
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?56E9A108.7030304
> [2]
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/pkgng-intro.html

Thank you very much for your interest.

I agree with you, and I also think that a graphical pkg manager
would be more useful to the community. This is a very
interesting project for me and I would gladly work on it.

I already started writing my draft proposal[1]. I am really
motivated in coding for FreeBSD this summer and I hope
that someone will be willing to mentor me. pkg is well
documented so I believe I will not need too much help.

Robin

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bp_wHZRR0-biWntSG4HZ42DsgZpfFFMKdrAfuvOCfSc/edit?usp=sharing