Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:24:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why dual boot?

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> People don't have their first experience with FreeBSD
> with the installation of a production system.  People
> who install production systems are generally computing
> professionals, and I would count them out of the target
> market for one-off installs, in any case, which is what
> we are talking about here.

good point. i'm sorry for not following the thread more closely.

related, most people do not have much more than 1 or 2 computers in the
home. it may be more than just inconvienent to have more than that
(computing professionals are an exception, of course), and perhaps a
financial limit. most "joe blow" people want something that'll just work,
and windows, as much as we may hate to admit it, does just that.

> Could someone else send the comment in on the consent
> decree public comment period (ends Monday; see SlashDot)
> that ther should be a requirement that the space on the
> disk should be divided such that either user data, or
> another OS, can be installed on all machines, or that
> Microsoft should be required to provide partition
> shrinking tools that can be operated via addition of a
> .bat file in the / directory?

could you provide an URL? i must've missed that one.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche