Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:10:25 +0000
From:      Firas Kraiem <firas@itsuki.fkraiem.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Foreign characters in filenames on FTP

Hi,

I have an issue with filenames that have foreign (e.g. Japanese)
characters in them when trying to access them by FTP from a Windows
machine (the server is running FreeBSD 7.1, the same problem occurs
with both the builtin ftpd and vsftpd). It is most likely an encoding
problem, but I can't figure out where it lies exactly. It basically
boils down to this:

When I access the FTP from my Windows machine, the foreign characters
come as a load of random characters. However, when I access it from a
Linux machine, everything is fine, and the filemanes are also fine
when I use ls at the shell.

As I said, it is most likely a problem in how FreeBSD encodes the
filenames, but I read throught the mount(8) man page and found no
option that would allow changing it. Any pointers would be much
appreciated.

Firas