Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:36:18 +0000
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        nclayton@lehman.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU Stow, and the ports system?

On Tue 1999-03-30 (08:56), nclayton@lehman.com wrote:
> Now, obviously I could just do this myself (and probably will when my
> 3.1 box finishes rebuilding itself).  But would anyone be interested in
> having this functionality folded back into the ports system as an option?

I think it's a good functional add-on to the ports system, although I'd
rather not have it depends on GPL'd software (cue major upheaval and
infighting).  If you're interested in the concept more than the program,
I'm willing to do the coding, if you're not interesting in that part and
were thinking of using Stow.

> Perhaps a "USE_STOW" knob in /etc/make.conf, which would modify the
> "install" and "deinstall" targets to have the above behaviour?

So long as there's a variable we can set on command line when we don't
want to use the make.conf option.

> If people are interested, I'll get to work on patches.

I'm pretty interested, if only as an exercise (and so that people will go
for my minimum version + version checking in bsd.port.mk because it'll
be changing so often *duck*).

A minor addition may be a command-line option to pkg_add to
automatically use this "stow" process when adding ports.  (One can only
hope that since the package is aimed to install at /usr/local, and we'll
"stow" to /usr/local that we'll not run into any problems)

Also to pkg_add and pkg_create, maybe a new @option to tell pkg_add that
the package was created using the "stow" mechanism.  (primarily for
"local" packages - ie, not FreeBSD-created ones) (not to be confused with
the previous paragraph, which tries to "stow" non-"stow"ed packages.

(and maybe a "@version" for packages which tells what version of pkg_create
was used to create it, and if pkg_add runs into something it doesn't
understand, it'll bleat and ask you to upgrade)

Suggestions?

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner