Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 05:04:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        eddy@isi.edu
Cc:        jon@caamora.com.au, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ethernet segment spliting

> the bridges above will be not be doing any IP routing, just forwarding
> IP packets based on MAC addresses.  you can do this with cisco's and
> i'd assume most other major bridge/router vendors.  of course you may
> run into serious traffic jams if your bridging ethernet over a much
> slower line, like a 56k.

in fact as many already said the most obvious solution seems to use
routing, not bridging.

> i'm not sure if this can be done with freebsd however.  Luigi's bridge
> code and ppp would be the place to look (Luigi will probably be able
> to answer this :).

just because i am called... bridging in freebsd only works on
ethernet-type networks. Someone already asked me that i also
add support for 'tun' interfaces so that solutions like the one above
are possible. Shouldn't be that hard to implement, just isn't there
right now.

	cheers
	luigi