Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 1995 00:54:08 +0200
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI NCR assertion failed on disk access

hi folks,

I have a SiS PCI motherboard w/builtin IDE and NCR PCI (53c810).
There are 2 IDE HDs installed, one on each controller (for performance
reasons). (they are Quantum Trailblazer and Quantum Fireball if this matters).

I have a newly bought Conner 1G SCSI-2. Tested in other machine (PCI UMC) under
2.1-RELEASE, same card (the system ran just from that drive, no IDE was
installed).

When I install it, and boot my 2.0.5-RELEASE (haven't upgraded yet, would
ASAP), it recognizes all the drives.

I've disklabeled and newfs'ed my new sd0 just fine.

When I start to `cd / ; pax -rw -X -pe -t . /mnt/root' (just for example),
in plain single-user, nothing but a shell running before,
it starts, then, after some short time copying files, I got:

assertion "cp == np->header.cp" failed, line 5235
assertion "cp" failed, line 5236
ERROR (80:100) (7-a3-0) (8/13) @ b5c:720071d
regs: da 10 c0 13 47 8 0 1f 80 7 80 a3 80 1 3 0
command failed (9 ff) @ f089cc00

this is from my paper notes (the machine is at work, I write this from
home), but I hope I haven't made any mistake in numbers.

Here are the code lines in question:

static void ncr_int_ma (ncb_p np)
{
[...]
	/*
        **      verify cp
        */
        dsa = INL (nc_dsa);
        cp = &np->ccb;
        while (cp && (vtophys(&cp->phys) != dsa))
                cp = cp->link_ccb;

        assert (cp == np->header.cp);
        assert (cp);
        if (!cp)
                return;

my simple question is:

	is this motherboard, RAM, PCI card, hard drive,
	or (I hope) the driver?

It seems that all works fine _until_ I access both IDE and SCSI.
It that the problem?
I have read some guys' report in relcom newsgroup telling just the same:
NCR works fine but with IDE.