Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2007 02:07:26 +0200
From:      Nikola Lecic <nlecic@EUnet.yu>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping track of automatically installed dependency-only ports

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:05:21 -0400
Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:

> [...]
> 	In view of the recent thread (on current@ ??) in which many
> people were willing to trade /decreased/ complexity for faster
> execution time, I'd say you have a long way to go before this gets
> committed.  (A carefully considered exposition of what the problem
> is, why it's a problem for many people, and how a proposed solution
> might work, submitted here, would be a good start.)

I'd say it's actually very simple, and that could sometimes be
convenient. For example, pkgtools.conf offers the HOLD_PKGS array and
possibility to manually put +IGNOREME in the package directory.

In this case, it would be sufficient to add something like
+NEVERDEINSTALL to the directory or NEVER_DEINSTALL array to the
pkgtools.conf, while portinstall could (optionally) mark with
+NEVERDEINSTALL file all ports that are manually (=3D as an argument)
passed to it.

Those pakages would behave normally (they would be normally upgraded,
etc.), they would just always be (silently) included in -x list of
pkg_deinstall. I don't think it has much to do with the execution speed.

Of course, if something like that doesn't already exist.

Nikola Le=C4=8Di=C4=87