Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:57:31 -0500
From:      David Cuthbert <dacut@kanga.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's momentum and future prospects

Peter Kieser wrote:
> I still find that FreeBSD has more _useful_ drivers then Linux, I have yet
> to find a device that isn't detected by FreeBSD, except some USB stuff such
> as my Logitech Webcam, and other "cheap" hardware that isn't of real use to
> anyone that is running FreeBSD in the first place, still it would be nice to
> see some of those drivers supported by FreeBSD, but this would lead to the
> bloat of the kernel.

Agreed that FreeBSD has more useful drivers.  But we should still try to
support the "cheap" hardware; after all, things like IDE drives could be
considered "cheap."  Also, why would it bloat the kernel (assuming it is
loaded as a module)?  Or were you referring to the kernel source?

> On the other hand, my favourite feature of FreeBSD is the Kernel
> Configuration, it has a nice GENERIC kernel

I love this feature, both as a user and as a developer.  Telling someone
that they have to tweak their kernel in order to run program X is such a
  drag.