Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:49:05 +0100
From:      Ulrich <freebsd-alpha@infopuls.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEC 500a

Wilko Bulte writes:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 02:09:17AM +0000, Russell Howe wrote..
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:18:02AM +0100, Ulrich wrote:
>>
>> Apparently there's some firmware module you need to load for the SCSI
>
> Do you mean ispfw.ko?

ispfw.0 is loaded. I cannot find ispfw.ko.

Some modules are loaded that I don't need. But I couldn't unload one of
them. I tried "unload firewire" which unloaded the whole bunch of modules.
Afterwards I wasn't able to load any other module. I guess that boot kernel
is monolithic.

Booting with 4.9 seems to be okay. It proceeds until SysInstall which I
can't operate because of keyboard problems: the keys I press seem to be
randomly interpreted and I cannot select any of SysInstall's menu options.

It seems that 4.9 is somehow better than 5.4 for this machine but I need to
get past the SysInstall keyboard problem.