Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 23:11:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Daniel Keller <dkeller@psln.com>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading and PPP compression

On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, Daniel Keller wrote:

> Hi, I have some more questions I need help with:
> 1. I am planning to upgrade my 2.1.5 system to 2.1.6. what is the best
> procedure for this? should I download all the bin files or do I just need
> some of them? Then what should I do?

Use the Boot Floppy, Luke...see below.  Yes, you can download the
distributions and plunk them in your filesystem and point sysinstall at
them.  You need bin, you want everything you installed before.

> 2.using the user mode ppp program I have set my modem up to use a fixed
> serial port rate, is this rate the speed I specift by saying "speed 38400"
> in my ppp.conf file?I have also enabled recived data flow control, with ppp
> should I set the flow control to hardware or software. I also don't know If
> I should enable data compression, I don't know if my ISP supports this,
> does it matter?

Yes.

set device /dev/cuaa0
set speed 38400

For the flow control, remember you rmodem must follow along too.  I just
set the dial string to do an 'ATZ' which recalls settings I've saved in
the modem that enable DTR recognition and hardware flow control, among
other things.  Data compression is up to you.  I have it on and it works
fine.