Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 00:31:44 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        PVinci@ix.netcom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Package / Port Descriptions ...

 * > I think we need to include some type of descriptions with the
 * > Ports/Packages...

For ports, you can do: "(cd /usr/ports; head */*/pkg/COMMENT)"....  A
very simple list for all the ports you have. :)

If you need longer (one-paragraph or so) descriptions, you can take a
look at the DESCR files instead.

For packages, you can use pkg_info to view inside the packages.

 * All of this stuff is practically screaming:  "FRAMEWORK!  WHERE'S THE
 * SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION PACKAGE??" at me, so I have to go now.. :-)

Maybe we can have an undergrad (hey, isn't there someone on the list
teaching a user interface course? :) write a frontend in tcl/tk that
will descend into the /usr/ports tree and show all the descriptions
and such.  And maybe even install it if you're root. :)

I'd like to do that myself if I ever get the time, but that won't
happen at least until summer....

Satoshi