Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:15:19 +0200
From:      Iavor Raytchev <pobox@verysmall.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PartitionMagic question

>> Though I still wonder why after FreeBSD has touched the partitions
>> table, PartitionMagic finds "errors" outside the *nix territory.
>>
>> It is somehow irritating to ignore "errors" all the time. I can see
>> that FreeBSD is made on first place to live alone, but it would be
>> nicer if it could live together with other OS in peace.
>>
>    Yeah, but if everything works, why mess with it? PM is overly-verbose
> in this case and has a tendency to misunderstand what's going on.
>    NOTE: Do not try what I have down below if it wants to 'play' with
> any FreeBSD partitions! Also, if you _don't_ have the latest version of
> PM and/or are running this on XP SP2, you may completely bork some of
> your Windows partitions so please consider doing what I suggest with
> extreme caution!
>    If you really want to see what happens, what I suggest-before trying
> this-is to make a bootdisk of FreeBSD and the PM bootdisk, then test it
> by confirming and rebooting. Most likely you'll have an issue booting
> into one OS or another, but if that's true you can boot to your XP CD
> and just reload the ntloader into the MBR and you'll be fine. I'm just
> suggesting making FreeBSD/PM bootdisks just in case.
> -Garrett

Hm... This is somehow too shadowy and time intensive (to reproduce the
"errors" I need to reinstall FreeBSD).

Hey Garrett, thank you for exploring the issue with me!

I'll leave it as it is for now (with the "errors" "fixed" by PM) and
just use it to see how is it going. Both OS'es boot fine and it starts
to feel as a waste of time to dig deeper into the it. Perhaps in future
there will be bits and pieces that will assemble themselves into a
proper answer.

Thanks a lot again, really :)

Iavor