Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:26:30 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>, "freebsd-fs" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS _receiving_ TRIM ? (unmap)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To: "freebsd-fs" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:45 PM
Subject: ZFS _receiving_ TRIM ? (unmap)

> So... I see that using TRIM is a scheduled feature for ZFS.  This is good
> --- ZFS's policy of never overwriting active data make's it's use of TRIM
> all the more important.
>
> But I'm concerned about the other side.  If I have an iSCSI disk exported
> from ZFS, will ZFS receive the "UNMAP" (SCSI's TRIM) and free those blocks?

The underlying disk UNMAP / TRIM support is dependent on implementation
at the driver level. For controllers who's driver used cam e.g. scsi (da)
and ata (ada) this is done there.

Having a quick glance at our iSCSI initiator it looks like its based on
cam which means it should work assuming target supports UNMAP or TRIM
via ata_pass. TRIM via ata_pass requires a patch I'm working on here
which works fine on 8.3 but I haven't had chance to port to head or 9/stable
yet.

If you have your setup working with a TRIM compatible ZFS or UFS you can
check the values of kern.cam.da.X.delete_method where X is the disk
number.

If your going to test this ensure you have r239655 in your kernel otherwise
you could get some nasty results.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.