Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:27:25 +0200
From:      Dan Larsson <support@junglenote.com>
To:        "'mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU'" <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ethereal.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SV: dhcpd

> Yes it is, but keep reading.  He confirmed my guess about wanting it to
> prevent servers.  Really all it does to people who want to run a server
> is annoy them.  Meanwhile it annoys your friendly non-abusing users as
> well.  Not what I would consider a good idea.  Not long ago I met a guy
> who was running a web server on a machine using dhcp.  He had a friend
> running his DNS service and every time his IP address changed he just
> sent the new address to his friend who updated his DNS and he was back
> in business.  Of course this works best if both you and your friend
> spend all your time on the net...

How does this bother the 'friendly non-abusing user'? I've never seen, even m$
boxes included, die from having their ip address changed with or without dhcp.
You must mean something else, right?
And as I mentioned earlier, from the clients point of view it's much easier just to
apply for a static address.
The other solution would be to deny access to all and punch holes in the fw for
every client allowed. This works. I know. But the rules table for the firewall grows
to monolithic proportions, understandably due to the myriad of available software
applications.
A second alternative which is similar to the above. And it's setting bandwidth
rules for every ip in the scope. Which also works, but sets the problem out of
focus.
The most desireable solution from my point of view would be to deny regular
ip datatypes (http-data etc) from the internet to the clients. e.g. to deny a request
from the internet to access any ip resource on the client side. And from there
punch holes to allow access to certain ips to be accessed from the internet.
This I do not know how to do. If someone does please let me know.

/D