Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 22:14:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        grog@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        peter@wemm.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why don't we search /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include by default?

In message: <20020529122327.C82424@wantadilla.lemis.com>
            "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
: I'm complaining about the implementation.  Since the Ports Collection
: installs by default in /usr/local, it seems reasonable to at least put
: these directories at the end of the search paths for header files and
: libraries.

It is working as designed.  /usr/local/* isn't searched by default,
and never have been in BSD.  Just because Linux is lame doesn't mean
that we should be too.

We shouldn't search /usr/local by default because PREFIX can be set to
anything.  We shouldn't search it because that may break other
things.

Warner