Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 1996 13:35:37 -0800
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   one more xntpd question

Since there seems to be a nice xntpd thread going...

Is it possible to take the security stuff in xntpd (md5/des I believe)
and do the following:

client/leaf                 server			    real clock source
xntpd <------------------->  xntpd <--------------------->   xntpd
         authenticated                 non-authenticated

Assume we only care about authentication.

Say we have 3 systems:
1. client
2. server
3. clock source

#2 gets the time from #3, but #3 only serves up nonauthenticated time
ntp messages.  However 1 (client) gets its time from #2.  Can
we setup an authenticated time "channel" between #1 and #2, assuming
we control both.  And obviousally, if so, how?

					regards,

					Jim Binkley
					jrb@cs.pdx.edu