Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:21:44 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVSup problems with the apache-current port

It has been brought to my attention that some recent reshuffling of the
apache ports in the CVS repository has led to assertion failures in
CVSup during checkout-mode updates.  Some of the RCS files in the master
repository were replaced with completely different files, and this
caused the problems.  In checkout mode, CVSup assumes that "revision
1.1" of a file means the same thing today as it did yesterday.  That
assumption got violated.

The problem affects at least the apache-current portion of the ports
tree, and possibly some of the other apache variations too.  As far
as I know, it affects only people using checkout mode ("tag=." in the
supfile).

To recover from the problem, do something like this:

    cd /usr/ports/www
    rm -rf apache*

and then re-run CVSup to bring back those files from scratch.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  I'll try to make CVSup deal with this
class of repository problems better in a future release.

Many thanks to Brian Handy and Alexander Indenbaum for reporting the
problem to me.

John