Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 2009 15:49:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ot: regular expression help

--------------enig795AB6B7249CDE04F2C1D9BB

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> I am attempting to make (without the perl expansions) a regular=20
> expansion that when used as a delim will split words on any=20
> punction/whitespace character *EXCEPT* "$" (for java people I want to=20
> feed it into something like this:
>=20
> for(String foo:input.split([insert regex here])

Well, there's no way to say "all foo except bar" using standard regexes, =
so
you can't use the [:punct:] character class. You'll have to roll your own=

class.

If your input is ASCII then see ispunct(3) for a handy list of all the
ascii punctuation characters.  I guess you'll need a RE something like th=
is:

   []!"#%&'\(\)\*\+,\./:;<=3D>?@[\\^_`{\|}~-[:space:]]+

although that's completely untried, quite likely to not have all the
metacharacters properly escaped (exactly what is or isn't a metacharacter=

depends on the RE implementation you're using) and is probably horribly
confused due to the inclusion of '[' '-' and ']' amongst the characters
matched in the range. =20

If you're using anything other than ascii, then I suspect you're going
to have problems with RE libs anyhow, unless you can somehow use PCRE. =20
The \p{isPunct} and \p{isWhite} escapes for matching unicode punctuation
or whitespace is probably what you need.

Even so, your best choice would probably be to separately check strings
for the presence of $ characters -- maybe transform those $ characters to=

something else -- and then split on any remaining punctuation characters.=

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3