Date:      Sat, 02 Jan 2010 22:37:21 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ulrich_Sp=F6rlein?= <uqs@spoerlein.net>, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: File system blocks alignment

In message <4B3FC8A2.1090901@elischer.org>, Julian Elischer writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> You overlook that MBR/Fdisk requires bootable slices to start at a
>> "track".  That means that the propper slice-alignmen typically
>> will be 8*63=504 sectors.
>
>No it doesn't, (or at least it didn't) but it has become custom to do so.

Yes it does, for all slices not starting on the first head.

We've been over this maddness in the past multiple times.

If somebody is willing to suffer this breakage on funky old bios'es,
betting that most of those systems will never run FreeBSD-9, I would
say they are being emminently sensible, but still have their work
cut out for them.