Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 1997 15:40:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@senate.org>
To:        maillist@home.comhelp.com (Mail Lists)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail

If sendmail was started with a full path (/usr/sbin/sendmail and not just
sendmail) you can send it a HUP signal and it will restart. Due to security
reasons it will not restart without a full pathname. If it has been started
this way, as is the case with a default 2.2.2 installation, first make sure
to change it in your rc file and then terminate sendmail, restart it again:

# ps -auxw | grep sendmail
root     10442  0.0  4.9   528  676  ??  Is   11:38AM    0:00.61 sendmail: accep
ting connections on port 25 (sendmail)
# kill 10442
# /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m

sendmail will log a message if it can't restart due to this problem. It is
a good idea to start it the right way in any case. In your /etc/rc:

if [ "X${sendmail_enable}" = X"YES" -a -r /etc/sendmail.cf ]; then
	echo -n ' sendmail';    sendmail ${sendmail_flags}
fi

Change that to /usr/sbin/senmail ${sendmail_flags}, so next time you reboot
you will have it started the "correct" way.