Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:22:22 +0300
From:      "ANdrei" <lists@hausro.de>
To:        <soralx@cydem.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

I'll try to benchmark it again in single user mode later today or tomorrow.

But to support this VIA CPUs, I must say that for their apparent lack of
performance in benchmarks, they run surprinsingly well in real life. If
FreeBSD or Windows, this machine of rather low manufacturing quality (Yakumo
is not the best of the best) is considerably faster than my Fujitsu Siemens
laptop with PIII 850MHz which has the same HDD and amount of RAM etc...
Actually the VIA C3 architecture seems to perform very well in real
situations, as I have worked for some projects on this machine and it was
quite ok. Maybe it is a consequence of its all-in-one motherboard chips,
because everything from video to sound and network is integrated, and might
give it this "boost" (just a thought).
>From the benchmarks you would expect this machine to be really slow, but it
is not, I am actually quite happy with it, some Pentium M based laptops
around 1.4-1.6GHz I've used felt slower (if Celerons) or about the
same...Some, though, felt much faster... But this is definitely usable as a
home server or anything alike, I don't think you can that easy "overwork"
the CPU with normal tasks, unless you have thousands and thousands of hits
on your websites...

ANdrei
http://students.oamk.fi/~t6ruan00/
------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience...