Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:06:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 problems

Julian Elischer writes:
> Archie Cobbs wrote:
> >
> > 0. Boot FreeBSD
> > 1. I have VT1 - VT6 with getty login screens, so X appears on VT7
> > 2. CTL-ALT-F5 and login as "archie" on VT5. Start X running.
> > 3. Screen flashes VT1 briefly, then video resets and displays X screen
> > 4. CTL-ALT-F4 to get to VT4 and login as "root"
> > 5. Run command "xwin", which is an alias that pops two root
> >    windows up on the X console.
>
> what's wrong with just running 'startx' to start X AND start some
> xterms?
> integrates steps 2,3,4 & 5

Nothing. I already have a workaround; that's not the point.
We're trying to identify a bug.

> > 6. CTL-ALT-F7 to get VT7 back to X, ready to happily get to work.
> that should be <ALT> <F7> not <CTL><ALT><F7>
>
> I assume this is a typo?

No typo.. CTL-ALT-F7 is what I use (and it works). It's too hard
to think about in real time whether or not to add the CTL part,
so I just always add it (IMHO it should be CTL-ALT anyway for
consistency).

-Archie