Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 2009 03:22:27 -0400
From:      Zach Riggle <zachriggle@gmail.com>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   Final Status Report

--Apple-Mail-3--543875182

Well, SoC has come to a close :-(

I've uploaded all of my code to P4, although you can find my
contributions to PyPcap on GitHub (see the blog for more info).  Of my
original milestones, there are some that I wasn't able to complete.
However, I got so much more done outside the scope of those
milestones, that it was an extremely productive summer for me, and I
know that I benefited the FOSS community.  I forked an abandoned
project (pypcap) and added many user-provided patches, as well as some
of my own, to extend and refine the functionality, as well as write
new tests for the library to ensure that it works properly.  I also
had to heavily modify PCS, as the -0.6 version was never released (my
mentor, George Neville-Neil, had planned to release it a few weeks
into the summer).  I am very happy with the modifications that I made,
although I would like to go back and clean up a lot of the code in PCS
(it can be done much more Python-y than it currently is, and as such
be made *much* cleaner).  Backwards compatibility was completely
maintained with PyPcap (the original tests all ran without error), and
the same should be true about PCS.

The tcpregression framework that all of this helped build has grown
leaps and bounds beyond the scope of the original project, and has
become a userland TCP implementation that *happens* to be used for
testing other TCP implementations.  I think that this will extend its
use beyond what we all originally anticipated.  There is a good deal
of documentation that will need to be done over the next week, because
while I tried to keep it up-to-date and clear as possible, some of the
interfaces may not be as clearly documented as they ought to be.
Removing deprecated, commented-out code also needs to be done before
I'll really be satisfied and be able to put a "0.1" on the framework.

I've also considered separating the TCP regression tests from the
framework itself (because it is more of a userland TCP implementation
than just a regression testing framework) and naming it TCPython, but
I'm not sure about that.  Name suggestions are welcome!

There's lots more that's been going on than what I've written here.
As always, check out the blog (90 posts total for the summer, not
counting a few lengthy ones that were eaten by MarsEdit x-(... )
		http://gsoc-tcpregression.blogspot.com/
--Apple-Mail-3--543875182--