Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:01:27 +0200
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@dead-end.net>
To:        "Andrej Brodnik (Andy)" <Andrej.Brodnik@IBC.IskraSistemi.Si>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Overloading my machine?

"Andrej Brodnik (Andy)" schrieb:
> Hi there,
>
> I want to put on my machine the following HW (I'll be running
> FBSD-3.2) beside the usual HW (serial and parallel ports etc.):
>
>   - three IDE disks
>   - floppy
>   - IDE CD-ROM
>   - three ep NIC
>   - Adaptec PCI bus SCSI adapter
>
> Now, this is not a lot of  burden (I think) for the processor, but I'm
> a bit  afraid about the  architecture. Will this work?  In particular,
> I'm  worried about the  interrupts. Any  suggestions how  to configure
> them?
The ISA NIC's would made me worry.
An ISA Ethernet NIC with a rate of ~ 1 MB/s utilizes the CPU up to
50-70%
(regardless of the CPU speed). On practictal tests the ISA bus maxes out
at around 3MB/s at 100 % CPU load (unless the ISA device does DMA)

For more than average network traffic, I'd put some cheap PCI NICs in.
You
should have at least 2 PCI slots free. Unless you are using this machine
also as a workstation, you could throw out the PCI VGA adapter and just
use a plain old ISA one, so you will gain another PCI slot.

Daniel