Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:45:57 -0400
From:      Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Subject:   Re: No Sound

On Friday, 14 September 2018 10:53:17 EDT Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:26:57 -0400
>
> Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD@twc.com> wrote:
> > I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel
> > i7-8700. running
> > FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2: Thu
> > Sep 13 12:15:36 EDT 2018
> > root@Chameleon.friedrich.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ CHAMELEON  amd64
> >
> > with snd_hda devices:
> > I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.
>
> 	This bypasses the operating system altogether and assumes that
> there is a connection between the CD player audio out and an input to the
> sound 'card'. It is common for this to be absent and to rely on a software
> player such as vlc or mplayer.
>
> > I am using the handbook section 7.2.2, but I have no sound.
> > How can I troubleshoot this?
>
> 	If the CD is connected internally then there may be a mixer setting
> you can turn up to hear it, otherwise you will probably hear sound from the
> headphone jack of the CD player (if there is one).
It's a SATA DVD and there are no headphone jacks on modern internal DVD
drives.  So there's no audio cable connecting the drive to any sound card or
header on the motherboard.  So that means there's no ability to transfer
analog audio, just digital audio, I believe.

I also can't get output from mplayer.  I'll try VLC next.

Also, no devices should up under KDE5 system settings Phonon page.  Is it
possible I didn't check all the phonon boxes when I built KDE5 from ports?