Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:40:45 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Ilmar S. Habibulin" <ilmar@ints.ru>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACL-0.1.1.tgz: updated for -CURRENT, some bugfixes

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Robert Watson wrote:

> As you may have seen in my recent post, I agree that disk storage is
> something we need to address ASAP, and the best approach is probably
> extended attributes.  I'd like to see support for ACL, CAP and MAC in the
> VFS interface directly, however, and finalize that API in time for the 4.0
> feature freeze, even if we don't get storage ready by 4.0.
It would be centralized development, not just incoherent patches. And
there would be very nice to reimplement access control scheme in
freebsd. Do some reference monitor.

> In the extended attribute scheme, these would be backed onto the extattr
> vop calls, although the syscall code on top would not see that
> happening--meaning that ACLs are visible in the VFS scheme, not just
> attributes (which would also be visible in VFS).
>
> Does this make sense to you?
I don't know. The thing is that MAC differs from DAC too much. It have
another aproach of getiing/setting labels, so sometimes mac label should
not be visiable or settable. If we can reserve some space, that would be
accessed only by the kernel through vop_extattr interface, and everything
else would be accessable from the userspace through this interace. I'm
afraid, that MAC implemetation without such limits will beak the
NoWriteDown rule of BLMs' MAC.

PS. What does freebsd project leaders think about all that posix stuff and
our efforts?